Wednesday, February 14, 2018

A Valentine’s Day Reflection About a Catfish

I was checking out a fishing spot when I saw a woman playing a large catfish at the tailrace of a dam. It was quite a battle. She had the hefty critter close a couple of times, but each time it ran again, stripping line and renewing the struggle.

I actually thought she was doing quite well. You can't horse a big fish in. But I could see her husband was growing impatient. Finally, he could take it no longer.

"That's not the way to do it," he huffed. "Here, give it to me!" And he snatched the rod from her hands.
Mere seconds later, I heard "pop!" and the bend in the rod straightened. The line had snapped; he had lost the fish. I quickly left; I did not want to hear the conversation that followed.

Patience and kindness are two things that can benefit every relationship. Consider the possibility that your spouse or loved one might actually be handling the situation just fine, even though you would do things differently. You do not want to do what the know-it-all fishing husband did.