Friday, March 25, 2016

On This Day in 1639, My Ancestor Lost Part Ownership of the Boston Dock


In 1635 my ancestor William Dyer was building quite a life for himself and his family in the new Boston colony. One of his noted items of ownership was part of Boston’s town dock, of which he owned 1/14th or 7%. 

On this day, March 25, in 1639: William’s share of ownership of the dock was transferred to a Boston merchant. William Dyer was my ninth-great-grandfather (born 1609, died 1672). He was married October 27, 1633, in St. Martin-in-the-Fields, London, to Mary Barrett (born 1611, died 1660). Mary, my ninth-great-grandmother, was the Quaker who was wrongfully hanged in Boston in 1660. She is one of my most famous ancestors and gets much more attention than her husband. But he was an exceptionally significant man in colonial history.

"William Dyer, landed gentleman," from which the above information came, was written by my friend (and 7th-cousin) Christy Robinson. She has a wonderful website on the Dyers, http://marybarrettdyer.blogspot.com/. Read the fascinating article on William Dyer here.