Saturday, October 27, 2007

Trip Part 1

(Posting from Spain)

Fri. 10/26/07

[I’ll be doing brief posts as available to fill in later.]

More Adventures in Flying

Sitting in Schipol Airport in Amsterdam just past noon. 7 hours ahead of Springfield time. Our flight from Detroit on NWA was 8 hours so w/ boarding we were on the plane about 9 hours. 3 little kids, about 5, 6 and 7 were sitting together alone in the middle section in the row behind us (we were in 2 seats on the left). One of them kept ringing the call button several times a minute. It lasted the whole flight. Their father ignored them. Passengers, stewards, stewardesses tried to stop it but to no avail. The one time I did fall asleep I was awakened by the boink. They stayed awake all night. When we hit the ground, they fell asleep. What timing. They disrupted the whole plane with nary a peep from the father.

Also had a sick infant, crying a lot, which a doctor treated twice.

The guy in front of me was one of those bozos who slings the seat back. When that happens I have no room at all. In fact, it changed the angle of the in-seat screen so much on the LCD, I couldn’t see the picture clearly. And I still had to give up foot room to the huge box that each row has for the video connections.

Trans-Atlantic flights are seldom fun.

I went through the mini art museum they have here. I’ve done this several times. They always have different displays. Once, I even saw some Rembrandts.