Friday, September 7, 2007

Nature Log, Selected

From time to time I record nature observations. Came across one of my intermittent computer files recently. I wish I had done this more throughout the years. Those who know me know I consider myself a "creation watcher." I love the great outdoors and all the wonderful things God has created.

Here are some excerpts:

9/21/02 A small northern watersnake undulated effortlessly across the surface of the water, unconcerned with, or unaware of, my presence. Also saw an otter and a beaver.

8/4/06 We saw a ruby-throated hummingbird following the drops of our back-and-forth sprinkler, drinking water.

8/5/06 On the plant trail, I saw a brilliant male cardinal with a large green caterpillar in his beak. When he saw me, he flew … with great difficulty. Couldn’t get up so flew back into brush.

8/6/06 Saw a spider-carrying wasp carrying a huge wolf-spider, much bigger than the wasp, dragging it across the near trail.

9/4/06 As I was standing out in the backyard watching Perkitty, after walking (Peg's in Chicago, Convoy of Hope), I was holding my water bottle when I was buzzed by a hummingbird, who then checked out the water nozzle before flying off.

3/07 On plant trail, saw a huge black rat snake, close to 4 feet long. Same place (near cemetery) where saw one last year. Prob. same one. Touched it and it coiled like lightning, shaking its tail like a rattler.

6/4/07 Saw a 3’ prairie kingsnake on the trail, same place where I’ve seen the rat snakes. Last week, on the trail close to home, a boy had ct a small black rat snake. He released it. Today also saw my second indigo bunting of the year.